See some of the selected presentations and publications of our AIP faculty.
By Dr. Jack Danielian:
- with Gianotti, P. (2017). Uncovering the Resilient Core: A Workbook on the Treatment of Narcissistic Defenses, Shame, and Emerging Authenticity. New York: Routledge.
- with Gianotti, P. (2012). Listening with Purpose: Entry Points into Shame and Narcissistic Vulnerabilities. Lanham, MD: Jason Aronson.
- (2010). A Century of Silence: Terror and the Armenian Genocide. American Journal of Psychoanalysis, 70(3), 245-264.
- (1988). Karen Horney and Heinz Kohut: Theory and the Repeat of History. American Journal of Psychoanalysis, 48(1), 6-24.
- (1985). The Negative Therapeutic Reaction: Crisis of Practice or Crisis of Theory? American Journal of Psychoanalysis, 45(2), 109-118.
By Dr. Nicole Dintenfass:
- with Dintenfass, J. (in press). Intimate Conversation: Psychology of Collecting African Art Miniatures. (English and French Versions). Milan:5 Continents Press.
By Dr. Giselle Galdi:
- “Keep on Growing” – She Said. Homage to a Supervisor and Acknowledgment of Indebtedness to Others. Paper given as the Recipient of Distinguished Psychoanalytic Educator Award at the International Forum for Psychoanalytic Education Conference.Philadelphia, PA. October 4, 2015.
- Sándor Ferenczi the Maternal Analyst. Paper given at the Western New England Psychoanalytic Society Scientific Meeting. Discussant: Deborah Fried, M.D. New Haven, Connecticut. February 21, 2015.
- Psychology of Women from the Point of View of Women. The Scientific Independence and Influence of Karen Horney. Opening Paper at the Myths of the Mighty Woman Conference Sponsored by the Committee on Women and Psychoanalysis of the International Psychoanalytical Association. Karen Horney Center, NYC. October 11, 2014.
- The Metapsychology of a Maternal Analyst’s Mental Processes. The Journey of Sándor Ferenczi. Paper presented on Panel with Horacio Etchegoyen and Pedro Boschan. Moderator: Inés Berro.UCA (Universidad Católica Argentina). Buenos Aires, Argentina. September 1st, 2010.
- “Women Under the Spell and their Transmuted Desire.” Karen Horney’s Insights on Feminine Psychology. Paper given at Symposium 2010: Love, Sex and passion: The Anatomy of Desire. Mount Sinai Medical Center, NYC. March 6, 2010.
By Dr. Arthur A. Lynch:
- (2017). Foreword: The History and Scope of the Correspondence. In: Robert R. Holt & Daniel Holt (Eds.), The Rapaport – Holt Correspondence 1948 – 1960 (pp. ii – xv). New York: I.P. Books.
- (2015). Preface: Integrative Plurality in Psychoanalysis. In Psychoanalysis: A Critical Discourse. The Selected Papers of Arnold D. Richards, M.D. (pp. xi – xxxiii). A. A. Lynch, (Ed.). New York: I.P. Books.
- (2013). On the Complex Nature of Loneliness. In A. K. Richards, L. Spira, & A. A. Lynch, (Eds). Encounters with Loneliness: Only the Lonely (pp.123– 138). New York: IP Books.
- with Richards, A. D. (2010). Leo Rangell: The Journey of a Developed Freudian. The Psychoanalytic Review, 97(3), p. 361-391.
- Richards, A. D. & Lynch, A. A. (2008). The Identity of Psychoanalysis and Psychoanalysts. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 25(2), 203-219.
View Dr. Lynch's Selected Presentations
- Treating Borderline and Narcissistic Psychopathology – an Update on Otto Kernberg’s theory and Transference Focused Psychotherapy. The 5th Chinese Psychoanalytic Congress, Wuhan, China, April 2017.
- Toward an Understanding of Loneliness and Aloneness: The Clinical Process of Multi-Determined Phenomena. American Psychoanalytic Association-106 Annual Meeting-New York City, Jan. 2017.
- “The Rapaport-Holt correspondence: The Menninger Connection.” 54th Annual Meeting of the Rapaport-Klein Study Group. The Austen Riggs Center, Stockbridge, Massachusetts, June 17-19, 2016.
- Psychoanalysis: Critical Conversations: An Overview and Discussion. New York Psychoanalytic Society and Institute, Dec. 2016.
- On Being Supervised: Following the Clinical Evidence, an In Vivo Supervisory Session. American Psychoanalytic Association, 102 Annual Meeting, New York City Discussion Group #101: Jan. 2013.
By Douglas H. Ingram, MD:
- with Stine, J. (2016). “How Senior Psychodynamic Psychiatrists Regard Retirement. Psychodynamic Psychiatry, 44(2), 211-238.
- (2015). How Clinicians Feel about Working with Spouses of the Chronically Ill. Psychodynamic Psychiatry, 43(3), 378-395.
- (2014). How Clinicians Feel about Working in Therapy with Spouses of Dementia Patients. Psychodynamic Psychiatry, 42(2), 285-302.
- with Friedman, R.C., Downey, J., & Alfonso, C., (2013). What is ‘Psychodynamic Psychiatry’? Psychodynamic Psychiatry, 41(4), 511-512.
- (2013). Loneliness and Solitude in the Psychoanalytic Training Process–from the Chair of the Supervising Analyst. In A.K. Richards & A.A. Lynch (Eds.), Encounters with Loneliness: Only the Lonely (181-194). New York: International Psychoanalytic Books.
View Dr. Ingram's Other Selected Publications and Presentations
- Discussant of The Burden of Confidentiality – APA President Richard Harding’s address to the American Academy of Psychoanalysis, New York City. January 2, 2002.
- Of Time, Narrative, and ‘Cast Away. Paper presented at the American Academy of Psychoanalysis, New Orleans. May, 2001.
- The Role of Reassurance in Psychotherapy. Paper presented at Grand Rounds, Cabrini Medical Center, New York City. November 10, 2000.
- The Immediacy of Karen Horney’s Theory to the Practice of Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy; Toward the Psychoanalytic Therapy of ‘Caspar Milquetoast’: A Case Illustrating the Application of Karen Horney’s Theory; Advances in Horney Theory and the American Institute for Psychoanalysis, Today. Papers presented at the Evangelische Akademie Hofgeismar, Hofgeismar, Germany. October 22-24, 1999.
- The Life Cycle – The Psychoanalytic Perspective. Co-Chair (with Miriam Tasini, M.D.) of a Joint Symposium sponsored by the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and the American Psychoanalytic Association at the Washington meetings of the American Psychiatric Association, Washington. May 17, 1999.
- (Edited by Dr. Ingram) Horney, K. (1987). Final Lectures. New York: W. W. Norton
By Dylan Marks, LCSW
- (2013) Book Review “Uncertainties, Mysteries, Doubts: Romanticism and the Analytic Attitude.” Robert Snell, New York: Routledge, 2013. Pg. 305-312. In Modern Psychoanalysis, 38(2).
By Dr. Michele A. Muñoz
- The Unwelcome Child Across Generations. Paper presented on Panel “Motherhood, Addiction and the Crises of Being Born”, International Forum for Psychoanalytic Education Conference. Seattle, WA. October 26, 2018.
- Against “Woman” Time. Paper presented on Panel “Dialoguing Clinically”, International Forum for Psychoanalytic Education Conference. Fort Lauderdale, Fl. November 10, 2017.
- Horneyan Theory and its Application to Practice. Invited guest speaker in course “Theories of Depth
Psychology,” at Union Theological Seminary, New York, NY. December 2012.
- Working From a Horneyan Perspective. Invited guest speaker in course “Theories of Depth Psychology,” at Union Theological Seminary, New York, NY. December 2011.
- Chronic Medical Illness in a Loved One: Complementary And Conflicting Styles of Coping. Public Education Lecture, Association for the Advancement of Psychoanalysis, New York, NY. May
By Dr. Mario Rendon:
- (2013). Istvan Meszaros, the Unconscious and False Consciousness. American Journal of Psychoanalysis 73(2), 173-183.
- (2008). The Vicissitudes of Affect in Horney’s Theory. International Forum of Psychoanalysis. 17(3), 158-168.
- (2008). Psychoanalysis, a Bridge Between Attachment Research and Neurobiology. American Journal of Psychoanalysis 68(2), 148-155.
- (2005). Beyond Community Analysis: A Response to Dr. Borg. International Forum of Psychoanalysis. 14(1), 16-17.
- (2003). Ecologia Social de la Hiperactividad. Revista del Centro Psicoanalítico de Madrid. 81(3). http://centropsicoanaliticomadrid.com/index.php/revista/81-numero-3/235-ecologia-social-de-la-hiperactividad
View Dr. Rendon's Selected National and International Presentations
- “Ethnopsychopharmacology.” NYC Department of Health. March 21, 2007.
- “Culture and Psychiatry.” HHC Family Court Mental Health Services. Grand Rounds Presentation. May 18, 2005.
- “Trauma and Growth: Antecedents and Consequences of Horney.” Societa di Psicoanalisi Interpersonale e Gruppoanalisi. Roma. 7 June, 2003.
- “Culture as Self.” Riverdale Mental Health Association. May 28, 2003.
- Keynote Speaker: “To Medicate or Not to Medicate: A Comprehensive Overview of Treatment Options for Children’s Mental Health Problems.” The Brooklyn Children’s Committee Seventh Annual Conference. May 9, 2003.
- “The Mirror Phase of Culture: Culture as Self of a Group.” The Metropolitan Institute for Training in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy. February 7. 2003.
- “La Adolescencia de Acuerdo a Sullivan y Lacan.” Centro Psicoanalitico de Madrid. November 30. 2002.
- “Ecología Social de la Hiperactividad.” II Congreso Regional de la Asociación Murciana de Salud Mental. November 27-29, 2002.
By Dr. Jeffrey Rubin:
- Psychopharmacology for Psychotherapists. Course given at the American Institute for Psychoanalysis, Fall, 2016.
- Psychoanalytic Process as Experience. Course given at the American Institute for Psychoanalysis, Fall, 2016.
- The Difficult Patient in Psychoanalysis. Course given at the American Institute for Psychoanalysis, Spring, 2014.
- Countertransference Factors in the Psychology of Psychopharmacology. Presentation to the Faculty of the Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai School of Medicine. New York, June, 2002.
- Cultural Meanings of Medication Giving and Receiving. Paper presented to The American Academy of Psychoanalysis. New York, January, 2000.
View Dr. Rubin's Other Selected Presentations and Publications
- Chemical Imbalance and Psychic Conflict. Paper presented to The American Academy of Psychoanalysis. January, 1998.
- (2001). Countertransference Factors in the Psychology of Psychopharmacology. Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis, 29(4), 565-573.
- (1991). Ambiguity in Psychoanalytic Practice: Discussion. The American Journal of Psychoanalysis, 51(4), 381-386.
- with Steinfeld, S. (1991). Foreword. In K.Horney, Neurosis and Human Growth (pp. 1-9). New York: WW Norton.
By Dr. Kenneth Winarick:
- (2011). Greed: Sex, Money and Power, an Introduction. In E. Ronis & L. Shaw (Eds.) Greed, Sex, Money, Power and Politics (pp. ). New York: IP Books
- Suggestive Interventions in Psychoanalysis. Paper presented at Division of Psychotherapy Meeting, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, May 2011.
- Psychoanalytic Pluralism through the Lens of Envy and Narcissism. Paper presented at Symposium 2014: What Works in Psychodynamic Therapy. Mount Sinai Medical Center, NYC. March 22, 2014.
- Work with Parents in Child and Adolescent Treatment: A Catalyst for Change. Paper presented at the Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy Program of IPTAR, April 2016.
- (in press) (Review of the book Emotional Muscle: Strong Parents, Strong Children, by K. K. Novick & J. Novick. Bloomington, IN: Xlibris 2010. 292 pp.) Psychoanalytic Quarterly.